Healthy schools has been at the heart of Iceni over the past few years. With the help, support and enthusiasm from children, parents and staff Iceni Academy is now recognised as an Enhanced Healthy school (awarded in December 2019). This means we understand that the health and well-being of children is fundamental to their growth, development and contributes to them being better learners.
At Iceni Academy we use a whole school approach to promote the overall health and well-being of our pupils, families and staff. This has even resulted in a school motto being developed ‘Healthy body, healthy mind makes us better learners.’
The whole school approach involves working with children, parents, school staff and the whole school community to provide a solid foundation from which developments and improvements are embedded in a systematic way.
We have focussed on
- Supporting children to make healthy choices at snack time
- Increase the amount of physical activities the children participate in by introducing the ‘Daily Mile’ into everyday school life
- Offering a variety of sporting after school clubs
- Regularly reviewing the Tuck Shop and ensuring there are healthier options
- We created a parent council and asked for views on how to improve the nutritional content of children’s lunches while factoring in cost and children’s preference
- Nutrition lessons give children the opportunity to try a range of healthy recipes and understand their nutritional content
- Putting together a ‘healthy schools team’ consisting of children and staff to support with sharing ideas
Introducing ‘Zones of Regulation’ to support with children’ s well-being