Welcome to Juno Class Webpage
Teacher: Miss Gerada
LSA: Mrs Smith
In year 5 we are hard-working and resilient learners. Together we will strive to become better and do our best, using our growth mind-sets to face any challenges. Our classroom is a diverse and respectful place to be.
Things to remember:
- PE is on Tuesday, please make sure you have your full PE kit.
- To bring your water bottle (ideally filled and ready to go for the day)
- To bring your reading record and book to school each day and of course, take them home each evening.
- Read at home every day if you can
- Practise your timestables as often as you can- TTRS is great fun!
- Homework spellings will be sent out and tested every Monday from 13.9.21 so please practise at home so you can be proud of your score.
- Tuesday is PPA day and therefore your day will be a little different; you will participate in computing and PE lessons.
In year 5, we will be learning to be Geographers. We will be exploring how rivers and mountains are formed, researching European countries, their capital cities and the rivers within them.
Class Connected Curriculum book: The Explorer
Sustainable Development Goals:
This year in maths we will cover the following:
- Number and place value
- Read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1,000,000 and determine the value of each digit.
- Addition and subtraction
- Add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4 digits.
- Multiplication and division
- Identify multiples and factors including finding all factor pairs of a number and common factors of two numbers.
- Identify, name and write equivalent fractions of a given fraction.
- Convert between different units of metric measure.
- Geometry: Properties of shape
- Identify 3d shapes, including cubes and other cuboids, from 2d representations.
- Position and direction
- Identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation, using the appropriate language, and know that the shape has not changed.
- Complete, read and interpret information in tables, including time tables.
In English this term we will be learning to write various text types- including setting descriptions, non-chronological reports and character descriptions. To compliment these different text types we will be learning to identify and use the relevant grammatical devices that go with each text.
We will be:
- Planning, drafting, evaluating, editing and proof reading.
- Composition – apply vocabulary, grammar and punctuation.
- Composition – structuring and organising texts.
- Transcription – spelling/handwriting.
In reading we will:
- Understand, describe, select or retrieve information, events or ideas from texts.
- Deduce, infer or interpret information, events or ideas from texts.
- Identify and comment on the structure and organisation of texts.
- Explain and comment on writers’ use of language.
- Identify and comment on writers’ purposes and viewpoints and the overall effect of the text.
- Relate texts to their social, cultural and historical traditions.
This half term we start our science learning off with SPACE! I hope you learn to love learning about Space as much as I love learning about it and teaching it! We will find out what you already know early on in the year as well as find out what fun investigations you might want to explore. We will specifically learn about the our solar systems planets, how and why we have day and night and how the moon move around Earth... and lots of other cool knowledge!
Use the form below to get in contact with the class teacher during the school shutdown.